Results

 


As results of the application of the instrument, the following were obtained:

Age: 85.7% are children between 9 and 11 years old and 4.3% are children between 6 and 8 years old.

Sex: 64.3% are female and 35.7% are male..

With regard to the question: When you answer the activities designed in your virtual English classes, would you like to earn coins when you answer them correctly, and lose coins when you get them wrong? 71.4% consider that the use of coins is a good thing. Phrases such as the following show a tendency towards strategy: "it is like playing while studying", "it is good for my motivation", "because it would be more fun", "because this way I would be more motivated to answer correctly since I will get a prize, i.e. the coins". 28.6% do not believe it and did not give it importance.

Regarding the question: Do you like your virtual English classes? 85.7% consider that they like their virtual English classes, some reasons are: "They are very comfortable and fun", "because I am at home", "because they are quieter and have slides that help you to understand".

The question: Would you like your virtual classes to have videos recorded with comics? 92.9% would like their virtual English classes to use comics. Some of the answers were: "I like comics", "because this strategy would help me to listen and understand what they say in English, in a fun way".

The results for the question: If the virtual classes had a game that you have to play as a team with other classmates about learning English, would you play it? 85,7% said yes, and some answers were: it would be a different class, because it tests if we have understood, because I enjoy the company of friends, it will help me to improve my level with other classmates, it will help me to improve my level with other classmates.

Regarding the question: If the virtual classes had a video game, would you like to play it?

 Alone, with a computer or  with another classmate? 86% pointed out that they would like to play with another player, and 14%s said that they would prefer to play alone.

As for the question: Describe how you would feel if you were at the top of a leader board of your virtual English classes, tendency was towards the category of happiness and satisfaction.

On the other hand, the question referred to: Describe how you would feel if you were in fifth place on a leader board in your virtual English class, the tendency was towards sadness and would also be motivating to try harder.

The question: Would you like your virtual English classes to have activities that start simple and then appear more complicated and that you could solve them? 100% of the respondents answered positive, that is, they would like the classes to have activities that go from simple to more complex, as well as the levels of games. Some expressions were: like the levels of video games, you go up and earn weapons, I enjoy the challenges, it's like getting better with each question.

 As for the question: Describe what you would like your virtual English classes to be like, tell me what you like and what you don't like, the results are shown with characteristics:

I like; could solve game, give me the grade at once, I like that coins, and I don't like when they put that little bit of words that I don't understand. that they were colorful, lively, with music, fun; moving activities, more explanatory, in the mornings, I don't like them; they are just guides, a lot of text, long videos.

In relation to the question: What would you add or take away from your virtual English classes? The categories that set the trend are, the game and I wouldn't change anything. The question: Would you like that in the virtual classroom instead of your face, appears an avatar, or the image of your choice?  64.3% preferred their image, their photo and not an avatar. Some phrases of this, were: I feel that it is not me, they may think that it is someone else, that they know me and see the face of others to also identify them, it is like a way to hide. However, a percentage of 35.7% considered that it would be very good and comments like this support this percentage, it would be as if I were playing but I am really in class, I like comics.

And the question What do you think your parents will say if they see you playing in the virtual English class? The trend is positive, parents would support them if it is to learn.

 

Data analysis

From the results shown we can infer that it is possible to use gamification in virtual English classes, thus achieving a motivation in students, not only to comply with attendance, but also to make participation enjoyable and learning fun and challenging.

Based on the specific objectives established, the positive behaviors were: happiness, the possibility of having fun learning and satisfaction. As for the negative behaviors, they are few, rather they downplayed the importance of the games.

As for the perception of the gamified virtual classroom, it tended to a positive perception, they would like to earn coins, learn English by playing as if they were climbing levels.

Consequently, it could be said that the use of gamification in the English classroom can be an important motivating element, because it provokes motivation, and it is a different way to keep children's attention, which corroborates what Rodriguez and Santiago (2015) stated when they highlight the benefits of incorporating game elements into the educational environment, since they not only translate into motivation, but also into satisfaction.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Hypothesis

Introduction and objectives